NHS-provided hearing aids are available through a long-term loan system, accompanied by complimentary batteries. In order to maintain cost effectiveness of offering free hearing aids, the NHS employs older technology with fewer features. Aftercare appointments are generally not a standard offering in many regions.
Investing in private hearing aids at OpenEars in Mansfield includes not only the very latest hearing aids, but a package of timely aftercare. With our support and advice, you will have the freedom and flexibility to choose your preferred hearing aid style and technology, including options like rechargeable and Bluetooth features. We want you to be confident in using your hearing aids, and to hear to the best of your ability. This is why we offer regular hearing assessments, fine tuning, and ongoing support whenever you may require it. If your hearing changes, we will reprogram your hearing aids to ensure you are hearing at your best.
We want you to have the best possible hearing. That is why we supply only high quality hearing
instruments that feature the very latest technology. The price of a hearing aid is associated with the
type of instruments and technology you choose, not the severity of your hearing loss.
Some of our most popular hearing aids:
- Phonak Lumity L90 £3695
- Starkey Evolve £1995
- Widex 110 £2500
Major retail chains operate on a sizable scope, allowing them to make bulk purchases, but this might result in a predisposition towards their advice and products, often backed by particular hearing aid manufacturers. Independent providers such as our hearing consultants in Mansfield, are not bound by brand affiliations, affording us the freedom to recommend products based solely whether they suit our clients requirements. You can expect enhanced and consistent care from a dedicated Audiologist, without the hassle of long waiting lists.
Our team of audiologists in Mansfield are committed to providing close support during your initial adjustment to wearing hearing aids. This phase is crucial as various factors can impact the overall experience with your aids. Proper guidance, advice, and precise adjustments play a pivotal role in acclimatising to your hearing aids, and our skilled professionals in Mansfield have a proven record of helping individuals not only adapt to wearing their hearing aid, but also enjoy their usage. If either you or your audiologist believe that the current hearing aids aren't optimal for you, alternatives will be explored to ensure you experience the best possible hearing. Rest assured, if any challenges arise at any point, our experts are readily available to provide assistance.
Hearing aids are mechanical devices that are no replacement for your natural hearing. It is not
possible to achieve perfect hearing, however evidence suggests the sooner you adopt hearing aids
the better the outcomes in terms of speech understanding in the future.
Modern hearing aids often feature sleek and discreet designs, with colour options that blend with skin tones or hair colour to make them less noticeable. The choice of style depends on factors like hearing needs, comfort, aesthetics, and personal preference. Consulting with an audiologist can help determine the best hearing aid style for your specific situation. Take a look at our hearing aids in Mansfield here
A whistling sound, commonly known as feedback, is due to a phenomenon called "acoustic feedback." This occurs when sound from the hearing aid's speaker escapes the ear canal and is picked up by the microphone, creating a loop of amplified sound that results in a whistle or squeal.
A properly fitting and programmed hearing aid should not whistle when it is correctly inserted in the ear. However the following factors can cause feedback:
- Improper fit
- Volume setting
- Earwax or debris
- Loose or damaged components
- Suboptimal Hearing aid technology
If you are consistently experiencing feedback from your hearing aid, contact OpenEars hearing consultants in Mansfield.
Typically hearing aids will last anything between 3 and 7 years. Factors that can influence the lifespan and suitability of hearing aids are:
- Everyday wear and tear. Most modern hearing aids have a protective coating on them to shield them from dust and moisture. Having said that, the parts are made from plastic, metal, silicone and other materials that can all degrade over time
- Lifestyle. The environments that hearing aids are worn and the physiological effects of the user
- Hearing aid style. Hearing aids that sit completely in the ear are prone to the effects of being in a warm, moist waxy environment and can break down more frequently
- Technological advancements. Just like other forms of technology, hearing aid technology progresses rapidly, causing features that were groundbreaking seven years ago to appear basic now
- Your unique hearing needs. As your hearing requirements evolve and change over time, many individuals find it necessary to update their hearing aids, benefiting from improved sound quality
- How hearing aids are stored. If your hearing aids are prone to moisture ingression then it may be necessary to store them with desiccant overnight. If you have rechargeable hearing aids it is vital they are stored in their charger to maintain a healthy battery.
- The cleaning routine you use. Microphones and speakers should be cleaned regularly to prevent blockages from debris and wax
- The frequency of maintenance. You should visit your Audiologist periodically so they can check and address any potential faults with your hearing aids
If you have hearing aids that you think may be ready for repair or replacement, contact our professional Audiologists at OpenEars in Mansfield. We will provide honest and sincere advice about whether you will benefit from hearing aid repair or new hearing aids.